ca. 1890; Limestone; Artifact
Central Campus; Front lawn of Clements Library
These "books" were once the stepping stones for carriages at the residence of Regent Junius Beal. When the Beal residence was demolished in the early 1950s to make way for the Ann Arbor Public Library Building (Fifth Avenue at William Street), the "books" were relocated to his daughter's house on Berkshire Road. After her death some years later, the "books" were presented to the Clements Library.